Friday, September 28, 2007

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Guajillo Sauce

I was inspired to make Guajillo Sauce from Rick Bayless. But once I had made it according to him, it was not quite right to our tastes. So below is my recall of his instructions and our additions

1. Slowly roast 6 unpeeled garlic cloves on a cast iron skillet until blackened. (About 15 minutes).
2. Stem, open, seed and devein two 2 oz. bags of Guajillo Chillies. (Skinny bright red ones).
3. Start kettle of water.
4. Once garlic is done, toast chillies briefly on both sides and remove to a bowl. (I like to press them down into pan to blister them a bit). Pour hot water over them and allow to soak about 30 minutes to rehydrate.

5. In food processor, puree chilles, garlic, 1/3 cup beef broth, a couple pinches freshly ground cumin seed, Mexican oregano, salt and fresh ground pepper until smooth.

6. Press mixture though a sieve to get smooth paste and discard of skins.

7. Heat enuf olive oil (about 1.5 tbl) in big heavy dutch oven-like pan. Add puree and allow to cook until it "rounds out", loosing the chili edge and turning a darker brick red. Slowly begin to add the beef broth. Rick's recipe called for 3 cups of beef broth. I only added 2 to get a thicker sauce. At the end of dinner, I had no sauce left over, so I might add more broth next time.

8. Cook for 30 minutes over a low simmer, partially covered.

9. When we tasted it, we wanted it to be sweeter. So, I added a canela cinnamon stick, some flame raisins and a little molasses. If I do this sauce again, I would add the cinnamon stick in the beginning.

These additions, plus lots of salt, allowed the sauce to find it's footing and reveal something really yummy.

Because we were uncertain of the heat of the sauce, we grilled the pork tenderloin with just olive oil, salt and pepper.

To serve, I spooned some of the beautiful red sauce on a plate along with lots of the raisins. I sliced up the tenderloin on the diagonal and arranged on the platter. I scattered with chopped cilantro and toasted slivered almonds.

No comments: