Sunday, August 17, 2008

Eating What You Usually Throw Away

I am being guided to cut all animal products out of my diet.  It has come about suddenly and is related to an unraveling which I have been writing about in Blog of Yogi but not yet posted. 

I am not new to the territory as I was, like most people I know, a vegetarian in college.  But I married a meat eater and love a meat eater, so I aligned.

Re becoming a vegan cook will be fun.  The key for me will be to find new ways of doing things and look in the direction of the abundance of possibilities as oppose to focusing on what is missing from my diet.  My first experiment was to start to cook the tops of the vegetables that I usually toss.

Larry Yee at B.D.'s stand is always telling me that he cooks his radish tops.  So tonight I sauteed them up in a little olive oil, added some lemon, salt and pepper and they were delicious.  I might try to toss them with some couscous and toasted almonds next time.

Then, those giant fennel tops!  So I sauteed the stalks up and sure enough, they are tasty!  Who knew!




No comments: