Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Apple Chutney with Smoked Chipotle

I came home with porkchops and apples with a plan to make some applesauce.  But there was no butter, so I had to rethink it a little went for a spicy apple condiment to go with the chops.  I made this on the fly as I found ingredients, so if I spent some more time with it, I might change the order of events, but this is what I did and it turned out super yummy.

1. Peel and Core and chop your apples to desired size.  I squeezed some Meyer lemon on them as I went to help prevent browning. I think i had about 8 apples.  Pink Ladies.

2.  Mince about 2 inches of ginger.

3. In a heavy bottom pan, heat olive oil.  (This was the only fat I had.  Butter or ghee might have been better).  Add yellow mustard seed and then the ginger and then some turmeric (purely for the pretty yellow color).  Add the apples.  Mix well.

4. I allowed the apples to cook for like this as I wondered what I was going to do.  I found a few of Olivia's magic smoked chipotles.  I minced up 2 of them (removing the seeds) and added them to the apple mixture.  Then eventually I added some cider vinegar and sugar and allowed to cook over low heat, stirring often.  

5. The mixture probably cooked for about 20 minutes in total while I made the Cesear salad and prepped the pork.  When it seemed done enough, I transferred it to a bowl and covered it with foil to keep it warm.  Before serving I mixed in some chopped cilantro.




No comments: