Monday, May 7, 2007

Carrots and Kale in Orange Ginger Sauce with Spiced Rice

As I mentioned before, I am trying to hone easy vegan cooking. So, these next several months I am going to see if I can pull it off by choosing to eat light and less and find out what I start to crave.

Today I used Ghee, cuz I am gearing up for a PK with my pal Jackie Parker and I am supposed to be drinking ghee daily. Ghee is obviously not vegan.

1. Basmati Rice with Spices
Heat up some fat (today I used ghee). Once hot, add some spices. Today I used mustard seed, cumin seed and coriander seed. Add soaked basmati rice. Stir and toast rice a bit. Add the right amount of water. Bring to a boil. Cover and lower heat. About 10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, peel and slice up some carrots. Mince up some ginger. Slice up some kale.

3. Heat some fat in a pan. Add the ginger and stir for about 30 seconds, and then add the carrots. Allow carrots to cook in the fat, stirring every so often, until they start to brown a little. Add 1/2 a squeezed Orange, cover and allow carrots to steam and soften.

4. When rice is done, remove from heat and let sit.

5. Add kale to the carrots, stir and cover for only about a minute to wilt the kale.

6. Today I added the rice into the pan with the carrots and kale to stir it all up and soak up the extra orange ginger sauce.

7. I put it in a bowl, added a little salt and ate the whole thing.

2 comments:

Gledwood said...

Hey you're still posting up delicious recipes I see. Hi - you've been in my links for many weeks but I've not been in touch. Don't even know if I told you you were there ... I thought I'd say hi as you came to mind tonight... I've been reorganizing my sidebar and you've now got your own section under "Cookery Blogs". I've also opened 2 new video blogs. You really must see my sneezing panda clip. It's really entertaining!! See you there maybe... All the best to you
from
Gledwood
"Gledwood Vol 2"

cookloverelax said...

Can't wait to hear more vegan recipes. Always a challenge (in a good way!) when cooking. xo