Saturday, August 22, 2009

Passing the Cookbooks On

I am no longer using my cookbooks and magazines.

In the past, in preparation for a dinner party, I would pour over and through them. Having a party was an excuse to try new methods, flavors, and dishes that were too complicated to try on Monday night at home for two.

My magazines were organized by month, so I could reference the seasons easily. My cookbooks organized by type so I could easily find Mexican, Scandinavian, Vegetarian etc. recipes easily.

I have stopped "entertaining." Eric and I eat much more simply, usually determined by what's available that day from Farmer and the Cook, Bridge or the Market. And yet somehow I am enjoying my food more and pleased the ease of preparation and clean up.

Actually the clean up seems to be a big part of the simplification. I began to do the dishes about a year ago. And all of a sudden, it did not seem so fun to create a big mess.

And as I have blogged about here and in other spots, I am not longer grasping the affection and approval of others through my ability to cook an amazing meal.

As I box the volumes up to take to the Library and Barts, I am enjoying the reflection that cleaning house offers. I found the January 2000 Vogue entertaining magazine that launched me into the small dishes and bites trend. I found the Nov 1997 issue of Sauveur, covered in tomato sauce that began my Italian cooking exploration and I found my first cookbook from college that began the journey, Sheila Lukins, "Around the World."

It's a funny thing to be packing up and shipping off an identity. Admittedly, I am keeping my Joy of Cooking, Deborah Madison, Rick Bayless, Ed Brown, Donna Hay and a few others. And some of the collectibles with images that you just can't get anymore haven't made it to the trunk of my car. My great Aunt Ginny worked for General Mills, so the Betty Crockers are like family heirlooms. The Time Life Collections offer a plethora of funkfied colorized roasted ham and ribs shots for the Holidays circa 1967 that have images that cannot be easily found online.

And if something changes, I imagine that I can collect all that stuff again. But it seems that I am making room for other things.

No comments: