Friday, March 2, 2007

First Foods: Grilled Cheese and Tomoto Sandwiches for my Dad

I am remembering the first things I learned how to make as a kid. I do not remember the order, only the significance.

Grilled Cheese, caesar salad, chocolate chip cookies, sponge cake

1. Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwiches for my Dad
Shredded Cheese, always something different in the fridge, but most remember it being orange chedder.
Broiler on,
cheese grated,
tomato sliced,
spices ready.

Pre-toast the bread on cookie sheet with tinfoil.
Cover the Cheese over the non-toasted side of BREAD. Put under broiler.
Just before cheese is finally melted, pull out from broiler, put sliced tomato on and spices. (my dad liked lawrey's, garlic an onion salt, salt, pepper)
put back under broiler till done to your liking.

serve with knife and fork and a beer.


When I make this for Eric, it is usually with red onion instead of tomato, and sometimes both.
usually with Olivia's FnC bread, sometimes sliced sourdough, ciabatta works too.
raw extra sharp cheddar cheese, mixed with some Gouda once and a while.
same instructions as above, but i usually crumble dried herbs, salt and pepper on eric's.

If my brother was over for lunch,
I would mix adobo sauce into the cheese, or slice fresh jalapenos onto the top with the tomato and onion, or add Tabasco.


No comments: