Saturday, November 24, 2007

Tough Turkey

I was feeling ambivalent about hosting Thanksgiving dinner, but when I found out that Healthy Family Farms, the same stand from which I get my eggs from, was going to be making turkeys available, I got inspired.

Not remembering how big a turkey I usually get, and not sure who we were having over, I ordered a 20lb-er. When I picked it up, it was the biggest turkey I started inviting friends.

In honor of the local turkey, I felt out the rest of the menu from what I could get at the Farmer's Market, Farmer and the Cook and Rainbow Bridge. All organic and mostly local, I felt grateful again to live in Ojai, California.

On Wednesday, when I opened the turkey to get it ready to brine, I was overwhelmed by it's force. At risk of sounding too hippy, the spirit of my turkey was HUGE and I felt compelled to light a candle and say my prayers of gratitude. This was some turkey. I mean, like whoa whoa. It gave off this intense force that made my hair stand on end everytime I handled it.

But I learned a valuable lesson this holiday. While ethically I was very pleased with my free range organic turkey, I had not intended to cook an athlete. While the bird was perfectly cooked, nothing could mask the touch and chewy meat. Next year, I will be looking for the turkey that given the choice to run free, chose to relax and fatten up a little. A turkey more like me.

Thanksgiving 2007 Menu
10 peeps
Mixed Group.
2 Vegans

Appetizers
- Roasted Nuts with Rosemary, Brown Sugar, Cayenne and Salt
- Cheese Plate and Crackers
- Smoked Salmon Plate with Lemon Dill Sour Creme, Red Onions, Capers and Pumpernickel Toasts
- Herbed Olives


Dinner
Tough Turkey
(I carved according to the Video on the NYT. Great!)
Gravy
Basic Bread Stuffing (Bread from FnC)
Braised Fennel (Fennel from B.D.)
Slow Simmered Leeks in Olive Oil (Leeks from Rainbow, Carrots from Tutti Frutti, Onions from FnC)
Gingered Black Kale (Kale from Rainbow, Ginger from FnC)
Roasted Small Red Potatoes (Potatoes from Farmer's Market Stand)
Cranberry Sauce with Pomegranate Seeds (Cranberries from FnC, Local Pomegranates)


Desert
Katherine brought a Pear Tartan
Craig brought a Pumpkin Pie from Olivia















No comments: