Sunday, February 1, 2009

Fried Rice with Greens

I often will get into "kicks" in cooking. This is one of the reason I do really well on the Ayurvedic Cleanse cuz I love the ritual of the same meal.

Today I give thanks for the Superbowl. I came home to an empty house for the first time in about 4 months. The boys are off watching the game in East End. I was giddy with delight when I realized the gift.

And I made some fried Rice which is my new favorite thing to eat.

1. Mince up some red onion
2. Mince up some turnip greens, bok choy, kale or chard or a combo. (Tonight I was lucky enough to have turnip greens which are my favorite and baby bok choy from B.D.)
3. Add some olive oil (or other favorite fat) to a non-stick pan and raise the heat
4. Add some red pepper flakes or other spice.
5. Add the onions and saute for a while then add the greens
6. When greens are wilted enough, add some leftover rice from the fridge, breaking up the clumps. (I bet this would be so good with brown rice!). Mix and allow to "brown". Eventually mixing in some Tamari Soy Sauce.
7. Beat 2 eggs in small bowl.
8. Push rice to the side and pour eggs into pan. Allow eggs to cook for a little bit before you start pushing them around. Eventually mix into rice and use your wooden edged spatula to break up the clumps.
9. Fresh ground pepper and a little soy sauce on the side to taste.

Enjoy your quiet house.

No comments: